How to get to Falls Creek. Falls Creek is a popular destination offering hiking trails, waterfalls, and mountain biking trails. It’s most popular for being one of Victoria’s top ski destinations in winter.
Melbourne to Falls Creek by car
This route follows the Hume Hwy for most of the way offering several interesting places to take breaks along the way if you don’t mind a small detour.
Fun places to take a break on this route could include the Victorian Railway Workshops Art & Antiques store at Seymour, Fowles Wine at Avenel, Botanical Gardens and Gallery at Benowa, Benalla Aviation Museum, Ned Kelly Museum & Homestead at Glenrowan, Brown Brothers Milawa Vineyard, and Mt Beauty for any supplies or ski gear. Mt Beauty is the last place for fuel before the mountain.
Journey Time: 4 h 44 min (389 km) via National Highway M31
Note: During the snow season it is a legal requirement that all vehicles entering the resort carry snow chains. Snow season usually opens early June through to early October. Snow chains can be hired in Myrtleford, or in Mount Beauty. In winter, those with diesel engines may wish to use alpine diesel, or winter diesel, which is available in Mt Beauty, Bright, and Myrtleford.
If you are nervous about driving in snow conditions, there are park’n’ride coach services from Mt Beauty.
Melbourne to Falls Creek by Coach
There are two regular coach services during the snow season with the journey taking approximately 6 hours with “early bird” fares starting from $65.
- Falls Creek Coach Services have regular services to Falls Creek throughout Winter offering pickups from Melbourne, Tullamarine Airport, Albury, Mt Beauty and Albury Airport, traveling direct to Falls Creek.
- FallsBus operates a premium coach service from Melbourne CBD, Tullamarine Airport, and Albury to Falls Creek.
Melbourne to Falls Creek Flights
You can fly to Albury and take a connecting coach service to Fall Creek. Flight time is approx 1 hour 25
- Rex Airlines offers flights from MEL to ABX
- Virgin Australia also offer flights MEL to ABX
- Albury Airport to Falls Creek connection is operated by fallscreekcoachservice.com.au
Melbourne to Falls Creek by Train
You can take a the V/Line service from Southern Cross Station to Albury and then a connecting coach service to Falls Creek. Train journey time: 4h plus coach: 1h 45min. Alternatively, you can take a V/Line coach from Albury Station to Mt Beauty and then take the Falls Creek Coach service from there.